Sunday, March 25, 2007

Pyramid Questionnaire

I visited the pyramids north of Mexico yesterday, and climbed the Pyramid of the Sun, the third-highest in the world. (They not only have stairs to make the ascent easier, but also handrails. An escalator can’t be far off.)

To imagine the work that was required to build these things, without animals or wheeled vehicles of any kind, just kind of stops you. This was a time when people really took their religion seriously, or just didn’t have anything better to do.

But any kind of sustained appreciation yesterday was ruined by the countless hawkers who roam the grounds of the ancient city, pushing all kinds of trinkets into your face with the word, “Barato!” (Cheap!)

I resisted them all with increasing irritation, so I was wary when two young teenagers approached and asked if I would help them with their English homework. For school, they had to ask a series of questions to English speakers. Since my livelihood essentially depends on people giving me their time and putting up with my questions, I happily agreed to help these kids.

One had a digital recorder, the other a digital camera. The questions started off simple enough:

What is your name? (Steve)
How old are you? (29)
Where are you from? (The United States)
Where have you been in Mexico? (Chiapas, Michoacan, Mexico City)
What do you do in your free time? (Read, listen to music, go to concerts, watch movies, drink with friends)

But then the questions got a little stranger:

Is addiction a bad thing? (Not necessarily, but to alcohol and drugs, yes. (Maybe, like in a choose-your-own-adventure book, this question was prompted by my response to the previous one.))
If you found something on the street, what would you do? (Try to find the owner.)
If you could be an animal, what would you be? (A dog.)
Why? (I think I would like all the petting, and the sleeping, and the playing. But the rat poison thing is kind of a deal-breaker.)

And then the questions got weirder still:

What is happiness? (Being absorbed in a job or task, being with people you love)
Do you believe in love online? (Sure.)
Do you believe in love at first sight? (I’m skeptical, but I won’t rule it out.)
Do you believe love lasts forever? (I'd like to think so.)

They seemed satisfied, took my picture (with them), and said goodbye. And I wondered if the questions I ask people are just as stimulating.

No comments: